The Cyprus Association of Cancer Patients and Friends
The Cyprus Association of Cancer Patients and Friends was founded in 1986, by a small but pioneering group of women. All of the founding members had already experienced cancer in one way or another - some were cancer patients themselves; others had suffered the loss of beloved ones.
Their voice was first heard through the words of Dr Anna Achilleoudi, the president and founder of the Association, who stated in public: 'I am a breast cancer survivor, cancer is curable if early diagnosed and treated. I am a living example'
.Their objectives were already put in action:
Progress to Date:
- To enlighten the public with the correct information on matters of prevention and early detection.
- To promote continuous awareness, education and training of medical, paramedical and nursing staff on new developments of cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- To initiate intervention aiming at rehabilitation.
- To provide cancer patients and their families with moral and financial support.
- To struggle for the improvement of cancer diagnostic and treatment services in Cyprus by educating and training both professionals and the public.
- In 1990, the Psychosocial Support and social rehabilitation service began
- Two years later, in 1992, a multi-disciplinary Home Care Service began to operate In 1995 the Association established the Physiotherapy Service
- In 1998 the Day Care Centres were opened - patients can participate in groups and activities which provide companionship, friendship and support
- In 2005, the Patients' Transport Service provided its service to 465 patients.
In 2009, 3501 patients and relatives were the recipients of support, care and help from PASYKAF professionals free of charge.
Since 2000, systematic awareness campaigns with strong messages in MM and lectures to target groups covered the following topics:
2000 – Sunsmart
2002 – 5 fruit and vegetables a day
2004 – Male Cancer (Testicular & Prostate cancer)
2006– Male Cancer (Testicular & Prostate cancer)
2007 – Prevention and early detection of bowel cancer
2008 – I Love my smoke free environment Vs second hand smoking
2009 – I love my healthy and active childhood – Nutrition & Excercise Vs Obesity
2010 – Stop Cervical cancer (prevention and early detection)